Monday, July 27, 2015

July Update

We are back now in New Zealand. It is the middle of winter, but I think we have been pretty lucky with our timing, it has been quite lovely. I can never really believe that this is winter in the North Island, having lived in Christchurch my whole life, winters were a lot tougher. It has definitely meant adjusting from coming home from a Germany in a heat wave has not been such a shock! I had a pretty relaxed couple of weeks (training wise, still plenty of house renovations being done) and then this week I have started with a new coach, Kristian from TriSpecific Kristian has been quite a mentor these last couple of months, getting my gut health back on track, which I will be eternally grateful for as I can only but say it has been life changing for me. And I promise I will be writing a series of a few blogs soon outlining the changes we have made. I say we as my husband and son as well have made changes to the way they are eating, and I have been taking notes on changes to all three of us.

Quite a few weeks back I got asked to help write an article about why self coaching was a great choice, and I declined, as although I didn't know at that time I was going to ask Kristian to coach me, I said I don't actually believe self coaching is the best way. I fully believe that if you find the right coach for you, with an open line of communication and trust that is going to lead to so much more success than coaching yourself (for several reasons), but on the contrary, if you find a coach that is wrong for you, you are much better off coaching yourself. Over the last few months I started listening to the Fat Black Podcasts that Krisitan and Pete were giving. I think I started at episode 93 and now I am down to episode 19. I was pretty amazed with how much I was learning, mostly on the nutrition side of things but then also on all of their coaching philosophies. I was also impressed with their infectious positivity, and how much they genuinely care not just about their own coached athletes, but the general sporting population, so much so they are imparting an amazing amount of knowledge for free on their weekly podcasts. So to cut a long story short. I was lucky enough that Kristian agreed to take me on. Kristian's been really easy to communicate with, which is absolutely crucial and we seem to be very much on the same page on what and how I need to work to make gains going forwards. I've always been a bit alternative, and a bit different in my way of thinking, and it is nice to find someone so knowledgeable, but also with a real open mind in all things health and triathlon.

Over the next few weeks I will write here a bit about what I have been learning. Anyone that knows me, knows that I pretty much never talk of anything else at the moment, it's just been such a positive journey so far. I want to talk about the changes I have made nutritionally, which have not only helped me deal with the gut issues, but the positive side effects of these dietary changes that have rid me of anxiety and brain fog, and hopefully led me down a track to a much better long term health prognosis! I also believe it will enable me to make improvements in my own race results, but until I really meet my goals in this area I will not talk of the athletic advantages but instead of the advantages it is having to my general health and wellbeing.

So right now we are fully involved in preparing for the Ironman World Championships in Hawaii in just under 11 weeks now. I will race the Ironman Bintan 70.3 towards the end of August. It will be lovely to get back to this amazing race destination, where I have competed the last two years straight and only have good memories!