Monday, March 30, 2015

My new ride

My 2015 Ceepo Katana has arrived! I have been riding Ceepo nearly my entire career, they were my first sponsor and I partnered with them after my first Ironman victory at the end of 2007, so I have had 12 iron distance victories on their bikes. I have been riding the Katana since 2010. Every year Ceepo makes subtle changes, and the bike just keeps on improving, slightly lighter, slightly more aero. This year there are also extra features in a seat post clamp to stop the aero seat from slipping, nuts and bolts on the frame to add a bento box, and a scanning sticker so that people can identify you and your loved ones in any accident. I love working with Ceepo as they are such a great team of people, that are just so passionate about their bikes. This year I have been particularly lucky. My former components sponsor SRAM did not wish to resign me at the end of last year, so Ceepo very kindly stepped in and helped me out with Shimano Di2 components. Quite a few people had been telling me just how good Di2 was, but I was slightly hesitant, as to be frank I am very much a laggard when it comes to technology, the simpler the better is typically my motto. But having ridden my new Ceepo now for only a number of days, I can say that it could possibly be one of the best changes I have made in my career. I can see that on certain courses it will make a huge difference. Take for example a rolling course like Challenge Wanaka. I love to climb out of my saddle. So for me that means in the past when I am climbing and I want to change gear, I have to sit back down so I can change the gears on the shifters on my aerobars, and I often feel like I am fluffing around and losing momentum. Now, with the gears on the bull horn of my tribars as well as on the shifters it means no more fluffing around. I can change gears whilst remaining standing up, and I can time it precisely so I can change gear just as I stand up to gain maximum momentum. Over the course of 180k it will make a difference. Also for the past few years I have really struggled with moving from my small chain ring in the front to my big chain ring. No matter who looks at my bike, no one has been able to solve this problem. For me, it has meant if I am climbing a hill and am in the small chain ring but the hill is leveling off, I can not change up into my big chain ring until my bike is over the crest of the hill and heading back down, it just has not co operated. Also when I do get into my big chain ring, I have to stop pedaling for about 1 to 1.5 seconds while it changes. Now I can just push my button and it just flicks up straight away without having to stop pedaling. Very responsive and so far very, very reliable. Again on an undulating course where you are changing in the front ring a lot, this will make a huge difference for me. And even on the flatter courses where you can just stay in your aerobars, you can keep your hands a lot more still, as it so easy to just push the button to change gears, and if you want to jump up or down a couple of gears, you can just hold the button down and it keeps on changing. The manual shifters I used to have required a fair bit of wrist flicking, and aren't as responsive.

So, so far I am a big fan. I just have to make sure to charge that battery!! Would be awful to lose power halfway through a race!

My 2015 Ceepo bike is built up with Rolf Prima wheels, Cobb Saddle, Keywin Pedals.